There are many lists of top famous Iranians available online, but we decided to tackle this matter differently. In this show we help you learn about famous Iranians by playing the ‘Name Game’. To do this, we describe the famous Iranians, as if we are them. So listen in and play along!
Other subjects we discuss in the show
- Who are the most famous contemporary Iranians?
- Who the most famous historical Iranians?
- Who are the most famous Iranian women?
- Who is the most famous Iranian singer, ever?
- Who is the most famous Iranian poet to have ever lived?
- What percentage of the Iranian government wear shiny suits?
How famous are famous Iranians?
We have one of our listeners, Olga, to thank for the inspiration for show. She asked us, “who are the most famous Iranians?”. Naturally, any answers to this question will be subjective, but for brevity, we’ve highlighted a selection of famous Iranians in the show.
Famous Iranians mentioned in the show
- Shirin Ebadi (1947-present) — female, Iranian lawyer
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (1956-present) — male, former president of Iran
- Bijan Pakzad (1940-2011) — male, Iranian fashion designer
- NIMANY by Nima Behnoud (1976-present) — brand, fashion
- Marjane Satrapi (1969-present) — female, director and graphic novelist
- Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, “Shah” (1919-1980) — male, last king of Iran
- Abbas Kiarostami (1940-2016) — male, film director
- Asghar Farhadi (1972-present) — male, film director
- Golshifteh Farahani (1983-present) — female, actress
- Shohreh Aghdashloo (1952-present) — female, Iranian actress
- Ali Daei (1969-present) — male, international footballer, national coach
- Rumi (1207-1273) — male, Iranian poet
- Googoosh (1950-present) — female, Iranian singer
- Hayedeh (1942-1990) — female, Iranian singer
- Mahasti (1946-2007) — female, Iranian singer
- Hafez (1315-1390) — male, Iranian poet
Which famous Iranians have we missed?
We’d like to put it to our audience, who are your top three famous people from Iran? Let us know if the comments below, or head over to our Twitter page to respond in the comments and start a debate.
Persian words used during the show
|Tabrizi:||From the Iranian region of Tabriz, in the North West of Iran|
|Haft seen:||“Seven S’s”, the name for the Iranian new year spread|
|Barbari:||A type of Iranian flatbread|
|Norouz:||The word for the Iranian New Year (occurring on the spring equinox)|
Music: www.bensound.com, composer: Benjamin Tissot